Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Shoulder pain.

For over a month I was feeling pain and weakness and loss of range of motion (mostly due to pain) in my right arm. I finally was able to get in to see my doctor and he said I suffered  rotary cuff damage and I'll be starting PT on Monday. The pamplets he gave me were for that and neck stretching type exercises I should start doing and mentioned applying ice. I deliver pizza and one of my customers as it turns out is a doctor and he gave my shoulder a look and doesn't believe I have rotary cuff damage but rather extremely burnt out muscles and I should get a massage and lots of rest and not to put ice on it. I plan to primarily follow my own doctor's directions but assuming it might not be a rotary cuff issue what advice would be good advice in either case?

I wouldn't ice it but instead would use heat.  Ice is used as an immediate anti-inflammatory but only truly works if applied early prior to swelling.

Your physician did a screen and evaluation to determine damage however an MRI would be needed to objectively confirm a rotator cuff tear.  However I'm no physician and don't claim to be.  If I were you I would do the neck stretches, don't do anything that causes pain, and modify your work postures to ensure you aren't aggravating your shoulders when delivering pizzas, etc.

I hope this helps.

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE

I can answer questions about both conservative and post-operative rehabilitation for UPPER extremity injuries. These include but are not limited to: fractures, tendon repairs, tendon transfers, nerve repairs, lacerations, tenolysis procedures, TFCC injuries, repetitive motion disorders, reconstructive procedures. I have an advanced knowledge of UPPER extremity anatomy and industrial rehabilitation. I have extensive splinting skills for injuries to the upper extremity. Although not a physician or a surgeon I have worked closely with world renowned upper extremity specialists for over 10 years. I can give general information on what some of the most common upper extremity surgeries involve. I can reference those procedures as well. PLEASE DON'T ASK ME QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NECK, SHOULDER, ARM/HAND. I'M NOT QUALIFIED AND KNOW ABSOLUTELY ZERO ABOUT BACKS/HIPS/KNEES/ANKLES/ETC. THANK YOU!!!

10+ years working closely with orthopedic and hand surgeons and their patients. I have treated patients with small lacerations to major reconstructive procedures. My knowledge base includes both conservative and post-operative rehab protocols and care for upper extremity injuries. I have treated patients all the way from day 1 post-op to return-to-work status.

Kentucky Occupational Therapy Association American Society of Hand Therapy National Nurses in Business Association Roy Matheson and Associates

RSD article

Occupational Therapist former Certified Hand Therapist (license currently inactive) Deep Physical Agent Modalities Instructor Certified Work Capacity Evaluator