Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Shoulder pain.

Question
For over a month I was feeling pain and weakness and loss of range of motion (mostly due to pain) in my right arm. I finally was able to get in to see my doctor and he said I suffered  rotary cuff damage and I'll be starting PT on Monday. The pamplets he gave me were for that and neck stretching type exercises I should start doing and mentioned applying ice. I deliver pizza and one of my customers as it turns out is a doctor and he gave my shoulder a look and doesn't believe I have rotary cuff damage but rather extremely burnt out muscles and I should get a massage and lots of rest and not to put ice on it. I plan to primarily follow my own doctor's directions but assuming it might not be a rotary cuff issue what advice would be good advice in either case?

Answer
I wouldn't ice it but instead would use heat.  Ice is used as an immediate anti-inflammatory but only truly works if applied early prior to swelling.

Your physician did a screen and evaluation to determine damage however an MRI would be needed to objectively confirm a rotator cuff tear.  However I'm no physician and don't claim to be.  If I were you I would do the neck stretches, don't do anything that causes pain, and modify your work postures to ensure you aren't aggravating your shoulders when delivering pizzas, etc.

I hope this helps.

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE