Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Shoulder surgery

Question
Mri shoulder
Mri shoulder  
Hello,
  I had rotator cuff surgery in 11/2013. Recovery went great my strength was coming back nicely, no pain. 12 weeks later I had a accident with a suitcase. A very large 56 pound suitcase. It fell and I saved some poor guys foot but without thinking I grabbed it with my recooperating shoulder. Pain, could not lift anything. Tried cortisone shots, lots of PT nothing has helped. We took another MRI. Report is included. In the report it sounds like maybe this or maybe that. I am not a DR, so I really do not understand it. My ortho is telling me we need to fix it. In your opinion, is fixing it my only option? How can you tell in a MRI what is healing and what is tore? Thanks for your time.

Answer
Wow.  That's very unfortunate to happen so early in your recovery.  

I'd say have it fixed.  Especially if you've tried shots and therapy.  Usually that's indicative of something that cannot be fixed conservatively and probably requires surgery to fix the underlying problem.

The MRI is a little confusing after reading the findings and then the impression.  But it sounds like there are things going on at the surgical site that aren't positive.  It either tore loose totally or partially from the anchor site and now you're back to square one.

Here's my recommendation.  Each time something goes wrong after surgery, the outcome usually goes downhill.  So your chances for getting back to 100% go down after tearing it again.  My advice would be to find the best shoulder MD within 100 miles and go see him.  You don't want an average ortho doing a re-do rotator cuff repair.  Look online for one at http://www.sportsmed.org/.  The best research you can do is ask around.  Call different rehab facilities and talk to the physical therapists that work there.  Ask them who the best shoulder surgeon is and when you hear the same name come up multiple times you know who to go to...they are the ones who see the outcomes and results from surgery.

Good luck  

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE