Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Slow healer?

Greetings MMAR
Ten weeks ago I had arthroscopic on my knee to repair a torn meniscus. I saw my physician six weeks later for a follow up. He said he did what he could but there was a coin sized area of arthritis that remained. He advised me to lose weight and give up high impact activity.
The knee is still quite sore, and it doesn't feel like the surgery was even worth it. However, I have always been a 'slow healer'. Is it possible that my age (55), my overweight, and my history of slow healing means it will take more time to recover?
Can you recommend any supplements or exercises that might speed the healing? Thank you, best wishes.

Dear Bud,
I dont know how long have you been suffering from the meniscal injury. If it was long there is a tendency to have Arthritis. I don't think that the surgery is failed. Yes your surgeon i correct.So please try the following to get better the condition.

1. Reduce the body weight(By your food)
2. Avoid prolong standing or sitting. I mean to change the body positions time to time.
3. Avoid running and cycling till the knee bit getting better.
4. Most important thing is , do quadriceps and Hamstring strengthening exercises regularly.

Thank you

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

MMA Ravindu Bandara

I can answer any physiotherapy related conditions.such as, 1. Any Orthopaedic condition. 2. Rheumatological conditions. 3. Neurological conditions. 4. Respiratory conditions. 5. Paediatric conditions. 6. Soft tissue managements. 7. Pr and post operative management.

I am Sri Lanka Medical Council registered physiotherapist. I have completed the Diploma in Physiotherapy in School of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy, Colombo in 2004. I have done my Advanced Diploma in Physiotherapy in Command Hospital Indian Air Force, Bangalore, India in 2006. I specialize in paediatric, Orthopaedic and Neurological conditions.

1. Advanced level- Bio Science stream. 2. Diploma in Physiotherapy-School of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy,Colombo, Sri Lanka. 3. Advanced Diploma in Physiotherapy- Command Hospital Indian Air Force, Bangalore, India. 4. Bachelor of Information Technology, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.