Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/finger flexor anatomy

First of all, I'd would like to say that I have been intrigued with finger anatomy. As an inspiring future PT maybe you could explain how the vincula of the finger flexors work. Also, is it harmful to flex the fingers only at the interphalangeal joint. I don't do this intentional, but I notice I do this if I wrap my fingers around a rectangular object (like a Rubbermaid plastic food container) or even a large cylindrical one (like my protein jug). In the latter case, the proximal phalanxes are making most of the contact. I experience discomfort/pain just proximal to the distal joint line on the dorsal side (or maybe both sides can't really tell!)

Interesting question...I don't think I've ever been asked that.  The primary role of the vinculum is to provide blood supply to the tendon...probably 99% of the blood supply that it receives.  It often "hangs up" on the tendon in the case of an avulsion or tear...basically the vinculum prevents the tendon from retracting further into the forearm.

I don't quite understand your question.  The "IP joint" includes the PIP and/or the DIP joints.  Please be more specific...also you said the "distal joint line" but did not specify which joint.  

I need more information to answer your questions.  Thx

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE

I can answer questions about both conservative and post-operative rehabilitation for UPPER extremity injuries. These include but are not limited to: fractures, tendon repairs, tendon transfers, nerve repairs, lacerations, tenolysis procedures, TFCC injuries, repetitive motion disorders, reconstructive procedures. I have an advanced knowledge of UPPER extremity anatomy and industrial rehabilitation. I have extensive splinting skills for injuries to the upper extremity. Although not a physician or a surgeon I have worked closely with world renowned upper extremity specialists for over 10 years. I can give general information on what some of the most common upper extremity surgeries involve. I can reference those procedures as well. PLEASE DON'T ASK ME QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NECK, SHOULDER, ARM/HAND. I'M NOT QUALIFIED AND KNOW ABSOLUTELY ZERO ABOUT BACKS/HIPS/KNEES/ANKLES/ETC. THANK YOU!!!

10+ years working closely with orthopedic and hand surgeons and their patients. I have treated patients with small lacerations to major reconstructive procedures. My knowledge base includes both conservative and post-operative rehab protocols and care for upper extremity injuries. I have treated patients all the way from day 1 post-op to return-to-work status.

Kentucky Occupational Therapy Association American Society of Hand Therapy National Nurses in Business Association Roy Matheson and Associates

RSD article

Occupational Therapist former Certified Hand Therapist (license currently inactive) Deep Physical Agent Modalities Instructor Certified Work Capacity Evaluator