Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/clarification for previous ?

Thanks for answering my past question. Seems i got some of my medical jargon goofed. What I meant to ask is it harmful to flex the finger at only the PIP joint. Also I meant to say that when I do so, ( especially when gripping objects where the DIP joint is not making contact), I experience pain just distal to the DIP joint. Let me know if you need more info.

There are 2 tendons/muscles that flex the finger:  The flexor digitorum profundus (flexes the DIP) and the flexor digitorum superficialis (flexes the PIP).  They have a very intricate relationship.  If you'll notice you are unable to flex the DIP without flexing the PIP...unless you are holding the PIP into extension such as in the case of someone being "double-jointed", etc.  More than likely you are grasping something without flexing the DIP joint and using the FDS to do all the work.  Why you are having pain near the DIP joint I don't know...if it's just distal to the joint it's probably related to some type of stress to the FDP tendon since it inserts just distal to the joint.

Do you purposely do that?  Grab objects without flexing the DIP joint I mean...since I haven't come across this with the exception of someone with severe rheumatoid arthritis.  

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE

I can answer questions about both conservative and post-operative rehabilitation for UPPER extremity injuries. These include but are not limited to: fractures, tendon repairs, tendon transfers, nerve repairs, lacerations, tenolysis procedures, TFCC injuries, repetitive motion disorders, reconstructive procedures. I have an advanced knowledge of UPPER extremity anatomy and industrial rehabilitation. I have extensive splinting skills for injuries to the upper extremity. Although not a physician or a surgeon I have worked closely with world renowned upper extremity specialists for over 10 years. I can give general information on what some of the most common upper extremity surgeries involve. I can reference those procedures as well. PLEASE DON'T ASK ME QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NECK, SHOULDER, ARM/HAND. I'M NOT QUALIFIED AND KNOW ABSOLUTELY ZERO ABOUT BACKS/HIPS/KNEES/ANKLES/ETC. THANK YOU!!!

10+ years working closely with orthopedic and hand surgeons and their patients. I have treated patients with small lacerations to major reconstructive procedures. My knowledge base includes both conservative and post-operative rehab protocols and care for upper extremity injuries. I have treated patients all the way from day 1 post-op to return-to-work status.

Kentucky Occupational Therapy Association American Society of Hand Therapy National Nurses in Business Association Roy Matheson and Associates

RSD article

Occupational Therapist former Certified Hand Therapist (license currently inactive) Deep Physical Agent Modalities Instructor Certified Work Capacity Evaluator