Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Mallet finger and pip joint

My finger
My finger  

Hello sir...I have a problem with my finger which people call it as mallet finger. I might have developed that due to football as I play goalkeeper. But it is giving me a lot of problem and depression as i can't play guitar to my fullest middle phalanx is bent.You can see the picture of my pinky finger and some internet fingers with splint. People say that I need to do surgery for that but I was wondering if using splint is enough or not because I don't want to go for surgery. Also how long will I have to use the splint? After the process is complete can I play guitar like I used to?

Splinting is sufficient.  Outcomes for surgery vs. splinting aren't much different.  You need to splint the top joint but not the middle as referenced in the splint picture.  

Splint should be worn 8 weeks with absolutely no bending of the tip joint.  The tendon needs to heal back together and it cannot if the tip is bending.

You should be able to play guitar after the tendon has healed.

Good luck!

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE

I can answer questions about both conservative and post-operative rehabilitation for UPPER extremity injuries. These include but are not limited to: fractures, tendon repairs, tendon transfers, nerve repairs, lacerations, tenolysis procedures, TFCC injuries, repetitive motion disorders, reconstructive procedures. I have an advanced knowledge of UPPER extremity anatomy and industrial rehabilitation. I have extensive splinting skills for injuries to the upper extremity. Although not a physician or a surgeon I have worked closely with world renowned upper extremity specialists for over 10 years. I can give general information on what some of the most common upper extremity surgeries involve. I can reference those procedures as well. PLEASE DON'T ASK ME QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NECK, SHOULDER, ARM/HAND. I'M NOT QUALIFIED AND KNOW ABSOLUTELY ZERO ABOUT BACKS/HIPS/KNEES/ANKLES/ETC. THANK YOU!!!

10+ years working closely with orthopedic and hand surgeons and their patients. I have treated patients with small lacerations to major reconstructive procedures. My knowledge base includes both conservative and post-operative rehab protocols and care for upper extremity injuries. I have treated patients all the way from day 1 post-op to return-to-work status.

Kentucky Occupational Therapy Association American Society of Hand Therapy National Nurses in Business Association Roy Matheson and Associates

RSD article

Occupational Therapist former Certified Hand Therapist (license currently inactive) Deep Physical Agent Modalities Instructor Certified Work Capacity Evaluator