Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Shoulder Impingement

Question
Could a shoulder impingement cause significant referred pain in the back/shoulder blade?

I had an injury that caused my shoulder to lock up and a spasm in my back. Months after physical therapy, I was still feeling pain and did an MRI. The MRI didn't cover low enough where I feel the pain, but focused on the top of my shoulder. The MRI revealed impingement in the top/front of the shoulder. However, nearly all my pain is between my shoulder blade and spine, or even below my shoulder blade. When it is severe, it is a sharp, shooting pain, very tight, and even hurts more with deep breathes.

The doctor recommended an arthroscopic shoulder surgery to remove some bone. I am fine doing that, but a little concerned they haven't looked where the actual pain is. The explanation I got was that it is referred pain. Is this likely/common or should I ask for a second opinion and an MRI that targets the correct place?

Thank you-

Answer
Things like this happen often.  It may not be a true "referred pain" but rather things have started to function differently because of the impingement.  I would highly recommend strengthening your lower and middle trapezius muscles as well as the rhomboids.  Google them and how to strengthen.  

You may need to still have surgery for the impingement (acromioplasty, etc) but that pain you're feeling won't go away without strengthening and/or physical therapy.  It's probable that you developed the impingement from poor posture, rounded shoulders, weak back, etc.

I hope this makes sense, I've seen a lot of it to include my own shoulder.  I had terrible biceps tendonitis in my shoulder and it went away as soon as I strengthened my back.

Good luck!

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE