Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Results of Scan

Question
"Hello and first thank you for answering my question.
Years ago I was diagnosed with elongated styloid process on a cat scan. This said it could cause upper phalangeal discomfort.
Back to the present day, I've been having dizziness and balance problems for around 9 weeks. Friends suggested this could be Eagles Syndrome, so I had a cat scan results:
History: Dizziness and ear pain
Technique: Non-contrast scans
Findings: The ventricles and extra-parenchymal fluid spaces appear normal. There is no midline shift. There are no areas of abnormal parenchymal attenuation or swelling. There is no mass lesion, haemorrhage or surface fluid collection.

No petrous temporal abnormality seen on either side, with normal pneumatisations of the middle ear cavities and mastoid air cells. Internal auditory canals and remaining inner ear structures appear normal. No petrous temporal soft tissue mass or bony destruction.

Mind - moderate polypoid inflammatory mucosal thickenings in both maxillary sinuses, significantly worse on the left. Minor mucosal thickening in the left spenoid sinus. Remaining paranasal sinuses are clear.

Comment: No intracranial or petrous temporal abnormality demonstrated.

Does this mean that my elongated styloid process has been picked up or not been shown ? If it has been shown does that mean it's doing no damage. I have tight muscles in my neck and scared that it might be affecting my carotid artery. Would the styloid bone be picked up at all and mentioned if this was a problem. I also suffer from TMJ.

Kind Regards

Karen

Answer
Hi, Karen,

This report tells about the condition of the bones and soft tissues in your skull. Basically, you just have inflammation and polyps in your sinuses. Polyps are not dangerous, as they are simply fluid-filled sacs. They are very easily cleared out by an ENT (otolaryngologist). You may wish to consult a head and neck doctor (ENT) to determine what's causing your dizziness. There are many conditions that can cause it; labyrinthitis and Meniere's Disease, to name just two.

The styloid process is nowhere near either of your carotid arteries, so you have nothing to worry about.

If there was an elongated styloid, it would have been mentioned along with the other bony structures in the report. My bet is your pharyngeal discomfort is from tight, fatigued muscles. When muscles are always contracted, they ache, and can cramp. It is especially suspect because you have TMJ.

I hope you have found a dentist who specializes in TMJ and an ENT to help with your dizziness and sinus problems.

Feel free to ask any other questions related to swallowing, voice, and hearing problems.

All the best,

Nancy

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Nancy Brough Retired medical speech pathologist