Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/ayuda

Question
QUESTION: I am in charge of occupational health and safety in 20 clothes store all around venezuela. We have plenty of workers complyning of pain due to long lasting standing. It is forbbiden to have chaires. Especcially girls have troubles with varicouse veins. The cashiers stand for more than 5 hours in the same position. what could I do?
Thank you

ANSWER: I'm sorry.  Without breaks and the removal of weight-bearing to the lower extremities, the body doesn't have time to heal.  The only thing you could do is show how adding chairs and allowing rest breaks will increase the longevity of a worker.  I wish I could help more.

QUESTION: dear friend:
what do you mean by longevity?
why do you say to heal? is there any fisical injur that must be cured for standing?
thanks

Answer
By longevity I mean that if you give worker's a rest break sometimes that they will be able to work in their current position for a longer period of time.  So instead of being able to work for 2 years at their current position, they can work for 5-6.  

When I say heal, the body will heal itself but it needs rest to do that.  So taking 15 minute rest breaks are designed to decrease the stress on the body and allow for healing to occur.  Prolonged standing is bad on the knees and hips, particularly for women due to their anatomy.  So if you can convince whoever is in charge that sitting occassionally isn't a bad thing, then maybe they will let their employees sit every now and then.

Sounds like a miserable job...

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE