Physics/Physics of swing motion

Paul R. Spencer wrote at 2015-11-01 21:27:23
If a swing had a frictionless pivot and the swing plus passenger were in perfect equilibrium (hanging motionlessly right under the hinge), It is possible to set the swing in motion.  One can start by blowing a strong stream of air from ones mouth, and can increase the swing amplitude by breathing in when ones head is moving forward and blowing out when moving backward.  Once started, of course the normal swing pumping action can more powerfully add amplitude to the swinging motion.  Similarly this could be done using a fan or piece of cardboard (or even one's hands in swimming motion) to "push" against the air.

Paul R. Spencer   (retired physicist--Xerox and Hewlett-Packard)  

Kevin Johnson

I will try to answer any question in physics, but I do not provide homework solutions or project ideas. I have some teaching experience at university level but I am also skilled at explaining things in simple terms. My specialty areas are granular materials, computational physics, particle physics, quantum physics, econophysics and general physics. Questions in GERMAN are welcome, too.

I have graduated in physics, specialized in theoretical particle physics and quantum field theory, worked in the area of econophysics and am currently working on my PhD in granular materials and computational physics. I have some tutoring and teaching experience at University level.

German Diploma in Physics (equivalent to M.Sc)