Physics/Circular Motion

Valeri wrote at 2013-02-03 15:46:11
I think the answer is completely wrong; the centripetal acceleration is actually constant.

Letís consider first the tire rotating around non-moving axis with constant rate (as if you lifted a car and started to rotate the tire). Obviously centripetal acceleration is constant. Then just add straightforward movement with constant speed that is equal to the speed of the tire at thread point. This constant speed movement do not change the acceleration. But entire movement now is the same as set up in the question!

Physics

James J. Kovalcin