Physics/physics

Mariah wrote at 2016-02-06 04:03:13
Just wanted to add - I don't think the answer Steve provided for part b is quite correct.

Since the period is the same for part b) as it is in part a), we can use our answer for the period of the carousel that we found in part a) and the new radius provided for part b) to solve for the new v.

That equation, written a bit differently than Steve wrote it, is:

T = (2pi(r))/v

T here stands for the period (r is the radius, v is the velocity. Steve used this equation, but rearranged and with different variables, written as v = d/t, where d equaled 2pi(r), and t stood for the period)

From there, with our new velocity, we can use the same equation for centripetal acceleration that we used in part a) to solve for the new acceleration:

a = (v^2)/r

It seems to me that by using Steve's answer for part b) we will end up with an incorrect (though sometimes close) answer.

Physics

Steve Johnson