Calvin Hulburt wrote at 2015-03-11 16:26:13
The answer supposes that the rider must steer to maintain balance. Actually, a bike is a compromise between self steering stability and rider control. Single track vehicles are designed with enough self stability to stay upright on their own. When a bike tips, the camber force pushes it in the direction it would fall. This creates slip angles at both wheels and this slip angle force opposes the camber force. Because the front wheel is free to steer, the front slip angle disappears and there is a steering moment equal to the rear slip angle force and the distance from the rear contact to the center of mass that causes the bike to yaw into any direction it would fall.  

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University