Physics/A question about cycle

Dear Mr. James,

In a question in an MCQ-based quiz, the correct option for "a cycle consists of a series of processes that" is:

"eventually return to the first state of the first process"
      AND NOT

"the series of processes that are continually repeated"

I am a bit confused. Can you please help me with understanding that?

In a cyclical process the system does indeed return to the same initial state. That is the entire point. For example in a typical internal combustion engine there are four steps: compression, power, exhaust, intake. This same series is repeated many times each second but any time the system returns to the same step the conditions of the engine are essentially the same.

James J. Kovalcin

I am teaching or have taught AP physics B and C [calculus based mechanics & electricity and magnetism] as well as Lab Physics for college bound students. I have a BS in Physics from the University of Pittsburgh and a Master of Arts in Teaching from same. I have been teaching physics for 34 years. I am constantly updating my skills and have a particular interest in modern physics topics.