Physics/Acoustics

Question
Hi Steve,

do you know or, can you tell me where I can find out the frequency range of a moving car, car radio, fan-belt, etc? I am looking through some sonograms taken by a bat detector that's been positioned on the car and just want to find out which sounds are the car by finding out what the frequency ranges are and how they would look visually?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Best Regards

Gary

Answer
Sonograms are not taken by a bat detector, it has no imaging properties.  For these mechanical parts you mention, the range of frequency in sound emission is absolutely enormous.  If you record and replay you might get a match, but there's no way to match it without a frequency spectrum to match it to from the original.  It's kind of like finding the murder weapon, you have to do that before you can match the ballistics on a bullet to the weapon itself.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson