Physics/Calculating the field strength of an electromagnet

Question
Hello Mr Nelson,

I am having a problem calculating the field strength of an electromagnet and I was wondering if you could give me some guidance.

The formula I have used for calculating the magnetic field, in telsa is

permeability x turn density x current = magnetic field

The (hypothetical) electromagnet I want to measure is 0.000023 meters long with 0.75 turns, giving it a turn density of 32,608.69565.

The current is 0.00486 milliamps
I have read that the relative permeability of magnetic iron is 200.

So, I did the following calculation
200 x 32,608.69565 x 0.00000486 amps = 31.69 tesla

Does this seem right to you? It seems like quite a high value of tesla.

I have also used some online calculators to check my calculations but I have got some different results from each.
This one gives me the same results as my calculations; 31.6957 tesla

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/electromagnetism/solenoid

but this one gives me the field strength as 0.0000398 tesla

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html

Have I done something wrong? Are my calculations correct?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,
Eddie

Answer
Well, that's a ridiculous magnet, but you forgot something really important aside from its ridiculous dimensions.  A solenoid is long and thin with many turns, so that it's really long compared to its width.  You have a 3/4 turn magnet that's reeeeally tiny.  Not a solenoid.  End effects make Ampere's law inapplicable to use as an approximation.  You used the relative permeability.  You forgot the factor of 4*pi*10^-7 (permeability of empty space), which really brings the number down.  :)  You have to multiply the relative permeability by the permeability of empty space, makes your answer agree with the calculator.  It's the little things...

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson