When you light a candle it starts out very small and then quickly grows to approx. a 2 cm flame height.  There's plenty of fuel and oxygen etc.

Why does it stop growing ?

Please forgive my delay in responding -- it's the only way I can think of, to ensure I am not assisting with academic work, of which homework is just a small part. Also, as I am unable to determine the veracity of what people post, I can not know whether or not a question involves academic work.

The amount of available fuel does not determine the maximum size of a flame -- more important is how rapidly the fuel can be delivered into the flame. A wick can only deliver melted wax to the flame, and then only as that wax moves through the wick. Thus, it is a slow delivery system. Which, by the way, is exactly why candles are useful -- they deliver fuel to a flame at a slow but steady rate. As such, the flame stays the same size, lasts a long time, and never gets too large too handle -- unlike (say) a bonfire that burns a house down.

I can help with understanding physics that does not involve eggs. I will NOT help with academic or professional questions, which are NOT limited only to homework. Please do not waste your time by asking a question that comes out of ANY kind of academic, professional, or business matters.

Have been fascinated by physical laws ever since I learned, at age seven, that magnets work under water. My study continued through college and has not ceased even after I retired.

B.A. in Physics (with honors) from University of California at Berkeley.M.A. in Physics (with honors) from University of Texas Austin.