Physics/decay of sub-atomic particles

Question
I asked on my FB if the angular momentum of subatomic particles could be considered perpetual motion, and a response from an engineer indicated that it could not because everything was in a state of decay. I thought matter was indestructible, it could only change form. Do we know how subatomic particles decay?  (Sorry if any/all of this is ridiculous, I teach art.)  

Thanks,
     Lauren

Answer
It's not perpetual motion, and not everything decays.  It's just in a minimum-energy ground state.  You can't extract energy from it, but it does indeed never stop.

The problem with "perpetual motion" is that it's commonly misused to mean "free energy."  It's just perpetual.  If your engineer friend can say that protons decay, then he's somehow beaten about 30 years of extensive physics observations.  They have a spin.  It may flip, but it doesn't just go away and they don't decay.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson