Physics/Heat retention in gravel

A vehicle is parked in the summer on a gravel driveway, idling for several minutes before departing. Eight hours later, a light rain falls, leaving all of the driveway wet except the rectangle where the vehicle had been idling. Is it possible for the gravel to retain enough heat for that period of time to produce the rectangle in question?

So - this is either a riddle or a mechanics question... but not thermodynamics question.

In short - no.  The heat would have dissipated shortly after the vehicle moved.

Either (in the case of a riddle) the vehicle had returned and that is why the gravel did not get wet... eg the vehicle always is parked in the same place.

Or it is a statement that the vehicle is losing oil/some other fluid which has effectively coated the gravel in such a way that it rejects moisture.

I hope this helps.  Take care.

Dr. Jeffery Raymond

Materials chemistry. Materials science. Spectroscopy. Polymer science. Physical Chemistry. General Physics. Technical writing. General Applied Mathematics. Nanomaterials. Optoelectronic Behavior. Science Policy.

Teaching: General Inorganic Chemistry I & II, Organic Chemistry I & II, Physical Chemistry I, Polymeric Materials, General Physics I, Calculus I & II
My prior experience includes the United States Army and three years as a development chemist in industry. Currently I am the Assistant Director of the Laboratory for Synthetic Biological Interactions. All told, 13 years of experience in research, development and science education.

Texas A&M University, American Chemical Society, POLY-ACS, SPIE

Journal of the American Chemical Society, Nanoletters, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, Ultramicroscopy Proceedings of SPIE, Proceedings of MRS, Polymer News, Chemical and Engineering News, Nano Letters, Small,, Angewandte

PhD Macromolecular Science and Engineering (Photophysics/Nanomaterials Concentration), MS Materials Science, BS Chemistry and Physics, Graduate Certificate in Science Policy, AAS Chemical Technology, AAS Engineering Technology