Physics/electric fields

Question
Hi Sir,

The E field varies as 1/r^2 and Electric Potential
Energy field varies as 1/r...why is it so? Is it
because the former is a vector field and the latter a scalar field? Thanks

Answer
> why is it so?
> Is it because the former is a vector field and the latter a scalar field?

No, it's just the way the mathematics works out.

For example, luminous intensity is a scalar quantity, and it falls off at 1/r^2 .

We define certain quantities in order to make useful predictions, and to accurately communicate what, exactly, we are discussing.  When we use math to describe these quantities, and then work out the math to describe their size at a distance from a point, some may vary at 1/r and some may vary 1/r^2 . It's just because how the math works out, not in the nature of these quantities.

Physics

Expert