Physics/Electrostatics

Question
q)An electron of mass Me,initially at rest,moves through a certain distance in a uniform electric field in time t1. A proton of mass Mp also initially at rest,takes time t2 to move through an equal distance in this uniform electric field. Neglecting the effect of gravity, the ratio t2/t1 is nearly equal to/
a)1
b)Under root Mp/Me
c)Under root Me/Mp
d)1836

Answer
Hello Ishaan,

Since electrons and protons have charges of equal magnitude, forces of equal magnitude will be exerted on them. The direction of the force will be opposite of course. Newton's 2nd Law gives us the relationship between the force on these charges, their masses, and the acceleration they experience. The electron's acceleration is
a1 = F/Me
The proton's acceleration is
a2 = F/Mp

Use the kinematic formula
d = Vi*t + (1/2)*a*t^2
where Vi = 0 for both charges.
For the electron d = d1, a = a1, and t = t1
while for the proton d = d2, a = a2, and t = t2.

The problem says that d1 = d2 so
(1/2)*a1*t1^2 = (1/2)*a2*t2^2
(1/2)*(F/Me)*t1^2 = (1/2)*(F/Mp)*t2^2
The next step is to simplify and solve for t2/t1.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson