Physics/Energy Field

Hi Dr. Raymond.

Season's Greetings !!

I just saw a documentary on the latest in watches.
A very famous and hugely expensive brand came out with this new watch...It claims to be infused with a rare metal that will enhance the body's energy field.

My question is..a) Is there such a thing as body energy field? b) Is it the same as aura? c) If it does exist, can wearing an expensive watch , infused with "rare metal" enhance it...indeed, can it be enhanced at what ever means?

Hello Ayee:

Season's greetings to you!

a) Not in the sense that the advertisement is using.  While there is an electromagnetic field associated with our bodies, a heat radiating component of our respiration and a small gravitational field associated with our mass - none of these would be significantly changed by the proximity of a specific metal bound to our wrist.

b) 'Aura' is typically used as a metaphysical term, and as a non-believer I am disinclined to comment.

c) Enhancing the three types of fields which I have outlined in (a) can be achieved, however it would not be done by proximity to any 'rare metal' bound to a watch.  First, in the case of our personal electric fields, an MRI machine for imaging internal organs captures one form of enhanced field that can be induced by contrast agents which are put into the patients blood and change a very special type of magnetic property associated with the cores of some atoms in our body.  Also, simply thinking hard changes the local electromagnetic field around our brains. In the case of our heat radiation - anything that increases our respiration (cellular or otherwise) will lead to increased heat generation which in turn radiates from our surface (skin) or expels from our body (breath).  Last, our personal gravitational field really only changes when we increase or decrease in mass or move at very, very fast speeds.  Note that none of these involve a mystery metal on a band that is strapped to our wrists. :)

I hope this helps, and that you and yours have happy new year!

Take care.  

Dr. Jeffery Raymond

Materials chemistry. Materials science. Spectroscopy. Polymer science. Physical Chemistry. General Physics. Technical writing. General Applied Mathematics. Nanomaterials. Optoelectronic Behavior. Science Policy.

Teaching: General Inorganic Chemistry I & II, Organic Chemistry I & II, Physical Chemistry I, Polymeric Materials, General Physics I, Calculus I & II
My prior experience includes the United States Army and three years as a development chemist in industry. Currently I am the Assistant Director of the Laboratory for Synthetic Biological Interactions. All told, 13 years of experience in research, development and science education.

Texas A&M University, American Chemical Society, POLY-ACS, SPIE

Journal of the American Chemical Society, Nanoletters, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, Ultramicroscopy Proceedings of SPIE, Proceedings of MRS, Polymer News, Chemical and Engineering News, Nano Letters, Small,, Angewandte

PhD Macromolecular Science and Engineering (Photophysics/Nanomaterials Concentration), MS Materials Science, BS Chemistry and Physics, Graduate Certificate in Science Policy, AAS Chemical Technology, AAS Engineering Technology