Is the individual strength of the earth's gravity affected at all by its distance from the sun ?  Like does it increase or decrease according to its proximity to other larger bodies of gravity ?

Gravity has nothing to do with it, but the Sun has a magnetic field that interacts with the Earth's magnetic field every day.  It has more to do with coronal mass ejections that generally follow solar flares than just the direct magnetic field of the Sun itself, but it does affect the Earth.

Gravitation really has no direct interaction with the electromagnetic force, the two are unrelated except in extreme conditions like black holes...and we're not even remotely in the ballpark of such gravitation here in our little solar system.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.