Physics/Heat

Question
Can all matter, (solid,liquid and gas,) be converted to heat? When I rub something, it gets warm. Does the escaping heat cause the object to get smaller? Over a long period of time, will the escaping heat cause the object to disappear? If everything can be converted to heat, would it mean that all matter is made of heat?

Answer
> Does the escaping heat cause the object to get smaller?

No, because all that is happening is that your effort to move these objects against a friction force (either external or internal) is, by definition, "work." This work is a form of energy that you are inputting into the system. Some of that energy is converted into heat, which escapes from the system.  When you do a COMPLETE audit, you'll find that the amount of energy that leaves an object exactly equals the energy that was input. Nothing is lost, so nothing about the object is going away.

> will the escaping heat cause the object to disappear?

Change form? Maybe. But not because heat is causing the object to loss mass, but because the frictional rubbing will eventually cause a grinding away of the object.

> If everything can be converted to heat,
> would it mean that all matter is made of heat?

Your first statement is false in the way you understand it, thus your second statement is equally false.

I applaud your original thoughts on this subject. But matter is not made out of heat. Both are forms of energy, but one is not made out of the other.

Physics

Expert