Physics/Speed & Weight of the Arrow

Question
Dear Steve, good morning to you.

I have a question to solve that it is:
"If I have an arrow with weight in 425 grams and this arrow it is
launched by a strong bow at a long distance, creating a parabola and when this arrow reaches the curve of the parabola (tangent), beginning dropping at height of about 30 meter, which will be the speed and a relative weight when the arrow touch the ground?"
I think that I put all information necessary to you analyze this question.
Please accept my thanks in advance for your attention and care to my e-mail.
Sincerely,
Ary Neiva

Answer
Hello Ary,

I can help you determine the vertical component of the velocity at touchdown, but I don't know the horizontal details. Therefore I can't determine the horizontal component of the velocity, or the resultant velocity.

Use the kinematic formula
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2*a*h
where Vi = 0 -- the conditions at the peak of the trajectory are taken as the initial conditions,
a = g = 9.8 m/s^2,
h = 30 m. Vf is the vertical component of the velocity immediately before it reaches the ground. If the arrow had been shot straight up, this would be the velocity it hit the ground with.

I'm not familiar with the phrase "relative weight" in a physics sense. If it had been shot straight up, the velocity immediately before it reaches the ground would be Vf from above. And the momentum = m*Vf. The ground would give it an impulse equal to F*t which is also equal to the change in momentum. Since the arrow comes to a stop, the change in momentum is m*Vf. Then we could write
F*t = m*Vf
Now, if we only knew how quickly it comes to a stop, perhaps 0.01 s or perhaps 0.05 s, we could solve the above equation for F and know the force exerted to stop it. If it had been shot straight up. That force is the what I might guess as the meaning of relative weight.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson