Physics/Funzionamento dello Giroscopio

Question
Grazie per la risposta, puņ spiegarmi in poche parole come funziona il giroscopio e come percepisce il movimento della Terra?

Answer
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giroscopio

Very well, but your answer will be in English.  I used google translate to get an understanding of it.  In short, a gyroscope works through conservation of angular momentum.  You can't change its direction of spin (as determined by the right hand rule, where you curl your fingers in the direction of the rotation and your thumb points in the direction of the resulting angular momentum) without applying forces to alter its angular momentum.  So as a high speed gyroscope spins, the forces required to change its direction of rotation are very large.  Therefore, as the Earth rotates, a gyroscope with angular momentum perpendicular to the axis of rotation will tilt.  For off-axis detection, more detailed calculations are required.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson