Physics/milliGauss

Question
I bought a tri-field meter to measure EM radiation
from my microwave oven which I suspect is "leaking"
microwaves. I notice that the scale is in milliGauss...
is that not for measuring static magnetic fields?

Also I remember that the E field is 90 deg. to the B field...are the areas under the curve the same?

Thanks!!

Answer
> is that not for measuring static magnetic fields?

Gauss is (are?) the standard unit for magnetic field strength, whether the B-field is static or sinusoidal -- just like amps are the standard units for current whether it is DC or AC.

> I remember that the E field is 90 deg. to the B field

This is true ONLY for ONE photon. For a large number of un-polarized photons, the total of ALL their E-fields are just as likely to point in any one direction as another, and the same with all their B-fields. Thus, at any point being bombarded by un-polarized EM radiation, both the E-field and B-field will be about the same in any direction.

Note that the previous paragraph is true only for un-polarized light. I do not know the extent of the polarization in radiation that is escaping from a microwave oven.

Physics

Expert