Physics/Momentum conservation

Question
In laboratory, by recording the movement of trolley crashing into one another, we try to prove conservation of momentum. But in this experiment, we often find that momentum is actually not conserved in the measurements we take. What might be the reason for that?

Answer
Hello shah,

There are 2 obvious ones that I'll start with: Errors in measuring the mass and velocity of the trolleys. The possible reasons for errors in the velocity data are difficult to list without knowing the means of measurement of the velocity.

Friction is impossible to avoid in the laboratory. It is possible that the measurement of velocity is such that the measurement is the average velocity during the second immediately before the collision and the average velocity during the second immediately after the collision. If so, your data would be equal to the instantaneous velocity 1/2 second before and 1/2 second after the collision. The friction would cause the instantaneous velocity immediately before and after the collision to be different from this average.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson