Physics/Reg: Friction

Question
HI,

We use boric acid fine power to avoid carom board friction.
and use engine oil to reduce friction in engine with pistons.

why don't we use fine power in engine to avoid friction and liquid in carom board vise verse?

?? wanna know more about friction??

Answer
Hello Dineshkumar,

There is heat that needs to be considered in an engine. The oil manages that environment well. Also, There are parts of an engine where 2 different metal parts subject each other to pressure. Oil is injected under pressure to maintain lubrication in those parts.

It seems that if you lubricated your carom board with a liquid, that liquid would soon be spread throughout your home.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson