Physics/Reg: Friction

We use boric acid fine power to avoid carom board friction.
and use engine oil to reduce friction in engine with pistons.

why don't we use fine power in engine to avoid friction and liquid in carom board vise verse?

?? wanna know more about friction??

Hello Dineshkumar,

There is heat that needs to be considered in an engine. The oil manages that environment well. Also, There are parts of an engine where 2 different metal parts subject each other to pressure. Oil is injected under pressure to maintain lubrication in those parts.

It seems that if you lubricated your carom board with a liquid, that liquid would soon be spread throughout your home.

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University