Physics/sci fi shields

Question
Hello. I came across a website which says that it is possible to create an invisible wall or barrier phenomenon by utilizing superimposed acoustic standing waves. It would have a similar effect as is portrayed for sci fi force fields, such as resisting penetration by objects, glowing purple, ect...

The author says electromagnetic waves could also be used for the same effect, even in a vacuum.
Here is the link to the article:

http://amasci.com/freenrg/audwall.html

I was hoping you could give me your assesment of this idea. Is it physically possible to achieve sci fi force field like effects the way the author describes?

Thank you very much.

Answer
No, the idea is absurdly oversimplified.  And you can't just completely trap standing waves like that, it doesn't work at all.  Waves are 3-D objects, confining them requires a 3-D container.  With sound waves, some incredibly complex beam of focused ultrasound might help, but it'll never be a real force field type "wall."

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson