Physics/Smoke Alarms

Question
Hi, I have recently become concerned about the smoke alarm in my bedroom, as the other day my partner was testing it and lit a match to do so. However, he struck it close to the alarm, meaning the flame from two safety matches was on the alarm, and probably also went into it. This set the smoke alarm off and he quickly blew them out. I have since read that you should not test smoke alarms in this way. I am concerned about the risk of inhalation of americium-241 from doing this, as the smoke alarm is still in the bedroom.
Thank you for your time.

Answer
The 241Am is customarily embedded as a coating on steel the way our lab sources are, and not terribly concentrated.  You shouldn't try to burn up the plastic housing on smoke alarms with fire, no, but the alpha emitter should still be quite safely contained.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson