Physics/A "Yes" or "No" quickie regarding spinning buckets...

Question
Hello! Just can't seem to fit Newton's Bucket into my head. I've long been committed to the idea that ALL motion is relative but the concavity of the water's surface seems to fly in the face of that. So! Without asking for an explanation I may never understand, please feel free to simply settle my confusion with a simple "yes" or "no":

DOES Newton's Bucket Argument establish that rotational motion is *SPECIAL*, occurring with respect to an absolute-rest-state which is invisible to all non-rotational relative motions?

Thanks in advance! -JMM

Answer
The core of the matter is Mach's principle.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach%27s_principle  Rotating bodies are in motion relative to their other parts and accelerating relative to their other parts, so yes they are special.  Take a wheel, for example.  Points on opposite sides (and all other locations) are moving relative to their attached parts and accelerating relative to them.  Establishing that the  whole universe isn't also rotating somehow is relatively immaterial and leads to over-thinking these problems...leading to thought experiment after thought experiment.  Don't let it drive you crazy.  Motion relative to the distant stars in the universe is relative, but rotation according to observation of the entire group (i.e. the universe) is absolute.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson