Physics/The Cooling rate Of water

How does the surface area affect the cooling rate of water?

Well, since water's primary cooling mechanism is evaporation, the cooling rate should be roughly proportional to the area.  There's a law of diminishing returns, since you will get air with extra moisture and the water nearby won't evaporate as fast, but if you have enough wind it should be roughly proportional to surface area.  More detailed answers are all dependent on the shape and the wind direction.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.