Physics/Physics

Question
A vehicle travels 80km at 100km/h, and 50 km at 75 km/h. What is the average speed of the vehicle?

I looked at the formula for average acceleration
( av. A = v2 - v1 / t2 - t1) ...However, the questions asks for the average "speed" of the vehicle.

Answer
Hello Tavis,

The average speed is calculated from the total distance traveled divided by the total time spent.

So you need to determine the time that elapsed in the 2 parts of the trip. Use the basic speed formula,
speed = distance/time,
and use your algebra skills to convert it to a form that gives you time on the left side of the equal sign with distance and speed on the right side.

Then calculate the elapsed time in the 2 parts of the trip. Add the 2 distances and the 2 times and plug them into the average speed formula on the first line above.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson