Physics/Physics question

QUESTION: If you mix hydroxycitric acid and Deadly Nightshade together in a bowl what will happen?

ANSWER: This is not a physics question.  It's a biochemistry one.  What the heck is a physicist supposed to say about mixing acids and plants?  I'm guessing, and this is a pretty good guess, that you'd end up with a pretty awful toxic substance.  Nothing that would kill right away?  Not sure.  Would it suck to ingest?  I'm pretty sure it would.  Would it kill you?  You are mixing in "deadly nightshade."  Perhaps you should search under biochemistry for my friend Dr. Trista Robichaud.  However, why you want to mix a weight loss drug (trade name hydroxycut) with a toxic plant is far beyond me and seems like a very bad idea on the face of it.  And you made the question private.  Are you trying to poison someone?

QUESTION: Oh my goodness no! I just heard about the mixing of these ingredients from an old Halloween episode in the 90's:
The teenage boy in the story was mixing these elements and I was merely curious.  By the way, does you weight drug hydroxycut work well and does it have side effects?

THIS IS STILL NOT A PHYSICS QUESTION and therefore inappropriate to ask me.  Ask a biochemist.  And I have no idea if or how well hydroxycut works, I only used it because it's an example of hydroxycitric acid.  I am *also* no expert on diet supplements.  I'm a physicist, not a physician.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.