Physics/Question regarding magnetic field.....

Question
QUESTION: There is an interesting question that has been boggling my mind and am really trying to just understand the concept. I am no longer taking the course as  I passed Physics 2 last year but am still trying to grasp the idea. Just the idea. The question mentions a wire of mass/length with current I to the south and then asks what is the minimum magnetic field required to lift the wire VERTICALLY UPWARD. I am thrown off by the VERTICALLY UPWARD. Do they mean to lift it off the ground and stand it up vertically? What does this mean. Also, they state in the solution that the magnetic force is equal to the weight of the wire. This makes no sense as the magnetic force would have to lift it VERTICALLY of the ground while it lays HORIZONTALLY. Please clarify the meaning of vertically upwards to me and how is it possible that the Mag force is equal to the weight?

ANSWER: Heh.  No, it just means up, perpendicular to the ground.  The wire doesn't turn, think of it as hovering.

QUESTION: That means the magnetic force is lifting it up in the vertical position from the horizontal position. The wire is lying down horizontally, so if it ends up being perpendicular to the ground, that means it was lifted from the horizontal position to the vertical position. If it is only hovering horizontally vertically upward, than its PARALLEL. I'm lost.  This doesn't make sense. It should just state levitating. Here is the question, "A wire having mass per unit length of 0.420 g/cm carries a 2.50 A current horizontally to the south. What are the direction and magnitude of the minimum magnetic field needed to lift this wire vertically upward?" I'm not looking for answers, just an explanation.

Answer
NO!  Read what I wrote.  The WIRE DOES NOT TURN.  The wire remains horizontal.  The force is vertical.  Everything remains that way.  Horizontal wire.  The force doesn't just act on one end of the wire, it acts on the center of mass.  The wire stays horizontal, the current stays horizontal (and therefore perpendicular to the magnetic field).

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson