Physics/Regarding FTL

Question
Hi Steve,

According to special theory of relativity equations, there can't be object that could travel faster than light. I read that OPERA experiment done in collaboration with CERN detected neutrinos travelling faster than light. They consistently detected over 6 months but look like due to politics they have recanted their results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPERA_experiment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light_neutrino_anomaly

It seems to me that scientific community is always biased to prove theory of relativity right? Please clarify.

Answer
Biased towards a theory?  No. Statistics and further measurement won out, not politics...you can't sweep a solid measurement under a rug due to politics, it would just be re-measured.  That's the short answer.  

The long answer is that everyone LOVES data that could open up new physics and we are biased to pursue those data absolutely as far as possible.  We absolutely adore data that runs counter to relativity and it fascinates us!  It's exciting, the possibility of new physics and we are biased towards being cautious about anything that goes against a well-proven theory unless we have very certain data.  But once the data is questioned and tested we go with it.  Politics doesn't change physics and bias is not something that can be woven into the fabric of the universe.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson