Physics/Universe expansion

According to relativity theory, nothing can move faster than light. Scientists have now confirmed that the universe is expanding more than the speed of light. How does the relativity theory accomodate the expansion of universe?

Not quite.  The inflationary period of the universe had space being generated very ridiculously fast.  That gives a false calculation of speed between objects that could be called "faster than the speed of light."  However, the objects were not actually moving through the space in the universe faster than light, so it's not incompatible with relativity.  And the universe is not expanding faster than the speed of light, it's expanding at an accelerating rate but when inflation was over there was no motion even remotely resembling "faster than the speed of light."

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.