Physics/Basic elements on space warships

Hi! I just wanted to ask that when in future we might have have warships operating in space what basic elements would be best for making an armor for the spaceships? Titanium, steel?

Dear Mika,

I would only be speculating in terms of time frames, however I can tell you that the required technologies already exist.

As for the material, I would expect that carbon would be the most prevalent element.  This is largely due to the strength per unit mass being so high for nanocomposites based on carbon.  Carbon nanomaterials (like nanotubes and graphene) as well as highly ordered polymers (synthetic silk) will most likely be a major component of any military craft that values decent impact protection and high maneuverability.

I hope this helps and feel free to follow up if you need web reference for further reading.

Take care!

Dr. Jeffery Raymond

Materials chemistry. Materials science. Spectroscopy. Polymer science. Physical Chemistry. General Physics. Technical writing. General Applied Mathematics. Nanomaterials. Optoelectronic Behavior. Science Policy.

Teaching: General Inorganic Chemistry I & II, Organic Chemistry I & II, Physical Chemistry I, Polymeric Materials, General Physics I, Calculus I & II
My prior experience includes the United States Army and three years as a development chemist in industry. Currently I am the Assistant Director of the Laboratory for Synthetic Biological Interactions. All told, 13 years of experience in research, development and science education.

Texas A&M University, American Chemical Society, POLY-ACS, SPIE

Journal of the American Chemical Society, Nanoletters, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, Ultramicroscopy Proceedings of SPIE, Proceedings of MRS, Polymer News, Chemical and Engineering News, Nano Letters, Small,, Angewandte

PhD Macromolecular Science and Engineering (Photophysics/Nanomaterials Concentration), MS Materials Science, BS Chemistry and Physics, Graduate Certificate in Science Policy, AAS Chemical Technology, AAS Engineering Technology