Physics/Energy release

Is E=mc^2 scientifically measured and proved or is it still theoretical and mathematical? If proved, can you please provide some details of the experiment? I read that huge amount of energy will be released if an atom is split and that in LHC, protons are made to colllide. If huge amount of energy is released in getting a proton out of an atom,  how could such huge energy is handled in LHC?

Of course it's measured and proven, to ridiculously accurate detail.  The problem with the rest of your analysis is that "huge" is a relative term.  It's huge for one atom compared to a chemical reaction, but it's not huge because the mass of a proton (the m term in E=mc^2) is ridiculously tiny...specifically 1.66*10^-27 kg.  That's reeeally tiny when you consider my mass is almost 100 kg.  So my mass is almost a thousand trillion trillion times that of a proton.  They're not converting the protons into energy, just slamming them together so they fly apart.  And huge amounts of energy are not released getting a proton out of an atom.  To get protons, you can just microwave water vapor (not the usual method, but technically it would also work) in a low-pressure chamber and apply a static electric field (put a big battery on it).  It's really not mysterious or complicated at all, and has nothing to do with huge amounts of energy being released.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.