Physics/Maglev

Question
Thank you. My partner realized that we should just suspend the magnetic rocks instead of using a pencil. It should work that way right? It mathematically makes sense. Again, what is your email? I much prefer emailing you then using all experts. We are currently doing the procedure map/list, hypothesis, and materials list. Do you have any other suggestions for our materials? I was only thinking of using the magnet rocks that I have.

Answer
I don't give out my email on this website, it leads to spam.  If you're just trying to suspend the rocks, they won't be stable.  Are they strong enough to repel that much?  To suspend them, you'll need something to keep them in place and oriented the right way.  A cage, maybe made of pencils or something like that, would work.  You can't, however, just "float" the rocks, it's not really possible.  If they're balanced such that they'll be suspended like that, they'll simply flip over quickly and stick to one another.  If you can attach the rocks on the bottom to the ground and the rocks on the top to some kind of structure that won't flip it has a chance, maybe something heavy enough to not flip...and you could attach the rocks to the edges of a plastic cup or bowl to allow the counterweight to sit down below the levitating rocks (attach them to the edge).

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson