Physics/Velocity

Question
A camera is taking pictures of a falling ball. The acceleration due to gravity used is 980 cm/second^2. The ball has fallen 160 cm in 4/7 of a second and the average velocity is 280 cm/second. I need to find the amount of time between consecutive camera flashes. I have no idea how to do this. Am I supposed to use derivatives? If so, how do I do that?

Answer
While this is clearly a homework problem and I don't do those (per my profile), I can tell you that you that this question makes no sense.  If you just divide the distance (160 cm) by the time (4/7 of a second) then you get 280 cm/s for an average velocity.  So the amount of time between camera flashes is just 4/7 of a second.  There's really no problem here to solve at all, the answer is right there in the problem itself.  It's a non-problem.  It doesn't even ask you what velocity it started at (if you just plug in d=1/2at^2 you get 160 cm which means it was simply falling from rest) or ask for anything that you would need to construct some more complex solution at all.  

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson