Physics/air lift pump mechanism, fluid dynamics.

Question
I'm working on airlift pump mechanism to lift fluid along a vertical pipe of 3meters.
We are asked to find out the minimum air pressure required to lift the fluid(fluid is water) along the pipe. The diameter of the air pipe is 10mm and the diameter of vertical pipe, containing water filled about 1.5meter, is 36mm.

Answer
The only thing that really matters is the height to which you are lifting the water (unless you are lifting a lot of water through a very narrow pipe in which case friction becomes an issue). The pressure needed to lift the water to a height h is given by:
P=rho*g*h=1000kg/m^3*9.8N/kg*1.5m= 14,700Pascals
There will be more to it, as I have said, if you are lifting large volumes through a narrow pipe due to fluid drag.

Physics

James J. Kovalcin