Physics/Not faster than Light

Question
magine a peice of wood one light year long. I'm at one end and you're at the other.
If I 'shove' OR PUSH the wood towards you, does it take well over a year for you to recieve the 'shove' at your end? Or, if it takes less than a year, are you receiving the 'shove'(or information) faster than light?

Answer
No, it would be far, far slower than that!  The speed of sound in the wood would determine how long it took to receive the shove at the end of some ridiculously long piece of wood like that.  That speed is really high for any solid material, but even in something light and yet strong like titanium it would be *far* below the speed of light because you're dealing with the physical acceleration of massive atoms.  The transfer of force in a material requires the polarization of molecules, meaning they have to physically move for that to happen.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson