Physics/frequency to break ice

Question
Hi,  As a follow up it was stated that ice cannot break with sound waves because it does not resonate at a specific frequency.  It may have several frequencies.  If a device existed that could generate four or five individuals frequencies and pass over the ice would it be possible to break the ice then?

Answer
Trying to generate a resonant frequency for ice would depend on the geometry of the piece of ice one is attempting to break.  That means that you'd have to be able to tune the frequency continuously.  The power requirements for such a device would be prohibitive indeed.  You're probably best off trying something in the ultrasonic range that could actually heat the ice up.  Steam might crack it from the inside or simply cut it.  It would still be very dangerous to operate, no matter what kind of sound you wanted to use.  Does this have a purpose, like de-icing objects or breaking up something frozen inside a system?  The ultimate purpose of the device will have a great deal to do with any approach to designing it.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson