Physics/Particle weapons

Question
Hi! I was playing a video game "Mass Effect 2" and in it there is this particle beam weapon which fires charged particles at incredible speeds. Would these charged particles have the same effect as a solid mass shot with the same kinetic energy of the particles being fired or how would for example a gigajoule kinetic energy projectile function differently from a gigajoule particle beam of charged particles?

Answer
Depends on the energy of the particles and how many...but in general no.  For a beam (meaning many, many particles) and a gigajoule (that's a lot of energy) it would do some cutting/burning and some pushing...again, depends on the particles and their mass and their number.  Without those parameters, you can make up a lot of fiction for a video game.  A beam of electrons?  A beam of iron nuclei?  Thousands of times the mass difference...

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson