Physics/Recoil of guns

Hi! If we double the mass of the gun does that half the recoil of the gun?

Please forgive my delay in responding -- it's the only way I can think of, to ensure I am not assisting with academic work, of which homework is just a small part. Also, as I am unable to determine the veracity of what people post, I can not know whether or not a question involves academic work.

Anyway, doubling the mass of a gun KEEPING EVERYTHING ELSE THE SAME will, indeed, cut in half the recoil acceleration. If we start with

Force = mass x acceleration

We see that

a = F/m

If the explosive force from the gunpowder remains the same, but the mass of the gun doubles, then the recoil acceleration will be halved.

I can help with understanding physics that does not involve eggs. I will NOT help with academic or professional questions, which are NOT limited only to homework. Please do not waste your time by asking a question that comes out of ANY kind of academic, professional, or business matters.

Have been fascinated by physical laws ever since I learned, at age seven, that magnets work under water. My study continued through college and has not ceased even after I retired.

B.A. in Physics (with honors) from University of California at Berkeley.M.A. in Physics (with honors) from University of Texas Austin.