Physics/Regarding mass

Question

I read that most part of the atom is empty. Currently, if we combine all the sub-atomic particle masses, are we getting the mass of the atom or are there any missing mass? Does space contributes to mass as well? Can you please explain in simple terms briefly how higgs boson contributes to mass?

Answer
It's not really empty.  The atom is full of the wavefunction of particles that make it up, mostly of electrons.  If we combine the parts of an atom, we have to account for the binding energy in the total mass (E=mc^2).  It works fantastically well.  Space is filled with the Higgs field, like electric fields.  It extends through all space, and interacts with massive particles to give them mass.  Like electric fields, the Higgs field is exchanged in lumps (particles) with a boson-like nature (integer spin).  That's really about it, imagine it in terms of a field like one that you experience and understand like the electric field.  

Truly understanding the Higgs boson involves a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics and a lot of information beyond the scope of this forum.  That's where I would start, however, studying quantum mechanics.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson