Physics/Sound frequencies

Question
Hi! A human ear can hear the frequencies between 20 and 20000 hertz. So does that mean that we can hear 19980 different types of sounds and all we hear is just a combination of those 19980 sounds?

Answer
It's not like that...Hertz is a unit based on seconds.  The sound frequency is a continuous spectrum and not cut into pieces.  We hear the spectrum, that's just how the human ear works. If our second were twice as long, we'd hear between 40 and 40,000 Hz.  Would be the same thing with a different unit, like a mile is still the same length even if you measure it in meters or feet.  The human unit choice doesn't change the physical length.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson