Physics/Water Resistant Electronic Gadgets.

Water Resistant Electronic Gadget
Water Resistant Electr  
Dear Prof James

Technically, Electronic components viz Integrated Circuits, Transistors, Resistors, capacitors etc are susceptible to Damage
if the electronic gadgets are dipped in water. Isn't it ?.

What is the technology the electronic gadgets manufacturers are applying to manufacture water resistant electronic gadgets viz watches, mobile phones etc ?.

Are they using Special Glass coating or any other material for
waterproof ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Interestingly, absolutely pure water is an insulator and would have little effect. The reality is, however, that virtually water has dissolved salts that make the water conducting which shorts out electrical circuits. In addition, water corrodes the connections and causes damage. In a surprising number of cases water exposure can be healed via of quick drying. Many have had success taking a water dipped mobile phone and drying the surface and putting the phone into a bag with uncooked rice which is very water absorbent.
As for preventing the problems, keep water out! New processes have been developed to seal water out and such processes are getting better all the time.

James J. Kovalcin

I am teaching or have taught AP physics B and C [calculus based mechanics & electricity and magnetism] as well as Lab Physics for college bound students. I have a BS in Physics from the University of Pittsburgh and a Master of Arts in Teaching from same. I have been teaching physics for 34 years. I am constantly updating my skills and have a particular interest in modern physics topics.